A well-maintained clamshell platen die cutter leads to higher production rates, less downtime and improved efficiency. To keep your clamshell operating effectively day to day, we recommend you establish daily, weekly, monthly and annual maintenance procedures.
Clamshell die cutters are fairly low maintenance if taken care of properly. Here are some tips for daily maintenance.
First, make sure the flywheel is turned off.
- Clean the front and side area of the press
- Remove debris from the rocker and cam area
- Check for oil leaks and loose bolts
- Be sure all safeties are working
- Take note of any squeaks, knocks or other unusual sounds
- Find lost screws if they’re dropped
- Inspect the press frequently, making sure it’s level
Keeping your clamshells level is critical to their performance and lifespan.
Leveling the platen is a fairly simple job for a skilled technician, but we don’t recommend you attempt it yourself. Mistakes made during the process can cause serious damage to the press. If you think your press needs leveling, please contact us.
For more tips and information on how to maintain your clamshell, see the cover story from Cutting Edge magazine.
Leveling the platen in a clean environment.